Dreading going back to work? Does it feel like your chest gets tight and heavy when you think about it?
The bad news is that the expiry date on your job might have been reached.
The good news is, it's time to start plotting towards a career or business you actually want to do!
You may be able to tell by my tone, that I really do think this is great news.
Let's get you started!
Here are three key ways to start figuring out where you want to go in your career, whether it's a promotion, a move side-ways to a related area or a totally different career or business.
Step 1. Make space in your life
An oldie but a goodie. You need to free up mental space so that you have the creative energy to think of solutions and to tune into what you really want in your career.
* Pick the most crowded, out of control part of your house and spent 15 minutes clearing it up or out. Changing external space amazingly changes mental space. Trust me. It's amazing!
* Drop one thing you resent doing that is taking up your time. This will free up time to spend doing step 2.
Step 2. Dream, baby.
This step is all about throwing out the rule book and daydreaming. What would be fun, exciting, fulfilling, challenging, meaningful for you work-wise?
* Journal or write notes of what you'd love to do. Don't filter or impose rules, just dream and scheme.
* Talk to someone trustworthy who will egg you on in your dreams. Have fun!
* Vision boards or pinterest boards of how you want to feel in your new job or career can also be a great way to dream and get clear.
Step 3. Listen to your whispers
Now it's time to listen to yourself, to those whispers that come up from somewhere. Listen and follow the trail to see where they lead.
* Get quiet. Meditate, just sit for 10 minutes, be in nature. Listen to what comes up for you from the depths of your heart and mind.
* Instead of ignoring a tantalising whisper that you hear from inside, go with it for a while and see where it takes you. It's not illegal to have a job that feels exciting and fulfilling, but we often push away ideas that look too much like fun or happiness.
Helping people find fulfilling and exciting careers is my not-so-secret superpower. If you'd like to start exploring just how good your work life could be, go for it!
Hi, I'm Dr Lara Corr, life coach and researcher in work and wellbeing. I coach successful 30 and 40 somethings who want more fulfilling or bigger careers but doubt themselves and their options. I help them get out of their own way, find direction and go for what they really want.